Wednesday, January 25, 2017
Brooks' Birth Story
My doctors gave me the option to be induced because of the third degree tear I suffered when Griffin was born. They didn't want the baby to be too big and risk another severe tear like that. I decided to be induced on my due date instead of earlier hoping he would come on his own before that. But he didn't. So on November 14th, with my parents in town to take care of Griffin, Mark and I headed to the hospital that night. We got all settled and the nurse started Cervidil. I was offered an Ambien to sleep which was fantastic because I don't know how well I would've slept otherwise. So then in the morning they started Pitocin around 9 am and contractions started pretty soon after. They weren't too bad to begin with. I waited to get the epidural, I asked for it around noon I think and then my water broke and thats when the real pain started. My contractions were super painful and very close together. I still had to wait for my epidural for about an hour or so, and that was the worst hour of my life. I can't imagine doing that throughout all of labor, shoutout to those who do! But then sweet relief when I finally got the epidural. Things progressed pretty fast from this point. I was checked just a couple times before I was dilated to a 10. But we had to wait for the doctor so I didn't start pushing right away. I was completely numb, I couldn't feel anything. The nurse was surprised when she checked me and I was crowning and that I didn't feel any pressure or anything. So the nurses had me start pushing but he was coming out pretty fast so then I had to stop and wait for the doctor. She finally got there and I pushed through maybe 4 or 5 contractions and then Brooks decided to push himself out in between contractions at 3:57 pm. Luckily, our doctor was paying attention and she caught him. Mark got to cut the cord and we immediately did skin to skin. The doctor took care of me (I did tear again, a second degree tear this time) while I got to snuggle my sweet new baby! And then everyone cleared out for a little bit and it was just me, Mark and Brooks! The nurses came back and weighed him and bathed him, he was 7lbs 8oz and 19.5 inches long. My mom was able to come and meet him that night, but Griffin and my dad had to stay at home because kids under 12 weren't allowed in the hospital due to RSV season. We stayed in the hospital that night and then came home the next evening around 8 pm.
Brooks is such a sweet baby. We definitely struggled through the first weeks of his life. He has a throat/breathing condition called laryngomalacia that makes his breathing a little labored and it was really hard to nurse him which led to lots of tummy problems for him. But we have made some changes and started some medication and he has just changed into such a happy, calm baby. We love him so much! I love watching Griffin interact with him. He ALWAYS asks after Brooks wakes up if he had a good nap and gives him kisses throughout the day. I can't wait to watch them grow up together!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






0 comments:
Post a Comment