navigation

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket



Thursday, September 13, 2012

KatySue

I'm so upset. I grabbed the sd card from my camera this morning, so that I could blog about my fun dinner date with KatySue, but then I left it at home anyway. How silly of me.

Anyway, so I thought I would just go back in time instead. (Pictures are from FB, sorry for poor quality)

Katy and I in Sochi on our 8th grade field trip
I met KatySue in the middle of 8th grade when she moved to Moscow from West Jordan. Yes we are both from Utah but it took Russia to bring us together. I remember meeting her too. We met for the first time at church, and I'm pretty sure she was sick that day haha. We basically became instant best friends. She only stayed in Moscow for the last half of 8th grade and 9th grade, then she got to go to high school in Utah. We missed her at AAS.

9th grade field trip to Kaliningrad
But we periodically get together, starting from when I would come home for the summers or holidays and now that we both live in the same state, we try to get together frequently still.

Christmas break of our senior year in high school
When we got together last night, we talked about one of the worst and most memorable nights we spent together. We were 14 years old, flying home from Russia to Utah by ourselves, just the two of us. There was someone from our ward on our flight though. We landed in NYC and waited the couple of hours for our connecting flight to Salt Lake.

Summer before college
So then it's time to board and we see the guy from our ward getting on the plane, but for some reason we hadn't been called to board yet. So we go up to the helpful Delta attendant and apparently they overbooked the flight. And we were the ones to get kicked off. I remember there were two ladies like screaming at the worker saying they needed on this flight blah blah blah, whatever, Katy and I didn't know what to do, we were 14! So they ended up kicking US off the flight. So there we were, stranded in the JFK airport. 

Twin haircuts
Ok maybe not stranded, but it was scary for us as these little girls in the big city. Delta put us up in a hotel for the night, which is just ridiculous to me now. Really Delta, you put two 14 year old girls in a taxi and send them to some random hotel in New York City? Ya good idea.

Freshman year! Katy went to SUU and I was at BYU - she always came to visit me though, she might be the better friend
Obviously we just stayed in the hotel and went to sleep as we were physically and emotionally exhausted. We both called our parents crying from the airport because we did not know what to do. My dad was LIVID, I remember that very clearly. 

I have bangs, so I'm thinking this is the end of my sophomore year (I can tell time by my hair style/color)
That's about it, not as scarring in story, but in real life it was not a good memory. Katy was saying she needs to go back to New York so that isn't her only association with it. And I agree. Oh wait, I am going back, on SUNDAY! 

My best Russian gals at my wedding!
There are probably some KatySue get togethers that don't have pictures on Facebook for me to document, but we typically see each other maybe twice a year!? But now we live so close to each other that has got to change. 

And that my friends, is the history of KatySue.

1 comment:

  1. excuse me... you lived in russia? i had to read that post like 12 times to come to that conclusion. please fill in your extended family who obviously doesn't know you that well...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...